Friday, August 22, 2008

Comic Con - Sunday

Wow, it took me a while to get to this post! :)

Anyway, on to the Sunday. Once again, I got up mighty early to get in line. But I made a mistake this time. I figured that since the room I wanted to be in was in the West part of the Center, I would try entering from that side. Big mistake. When they let people in before the official "opening" time, there is only the one entry door. On the East side. The same one I had used every other day. So I wasted a good 20 minutes getting myself back to the proper door. Bugger.

Now, I was of course planning to line up for the Smallville and Supernatural panels. I figured if the line up for a JOSS panel wasn't too bad at 7:30 in the morning, neither would a panel for two CW shows. Yup, I was wrong. There was QUITE the line by the time I got there! I knew the fan girls would be out in force, but in all honesty, it was not the line I was expecting. Sure, there were some fan girls there (of the "OMG he's so kyoot" variety), but there were also a lot of fan boys. And the age range was astounding. The people I ended up chatting to in line were quite a bit older than me. I saw a lot of people in the 40+ range. CW - if you think you're hitting the male 18-25 year old demographic, I really think you need to look again. :)

It was kinda interesting in regards to the SV panel. Since I have a friend who works on the show, I kinda, erm, know stuff. But I don't really know what parts of that knowledge is actually public. So while people around me were chatting about SV stuff, I kinda kept my mouth quiet. Just in case.

The SV panel was very amusing, and quite informal. I think it would have gone differently if TW or MR were there, since they are considered the big "stars" (but of course MR has no more obligations to SV, so wheeeeee). Jeph Loeb was actually quite amusing. I managed to get a set on the aisle, fairly close to the front, so I had a good view. I wasn't in the aisle where the mic was, but I was in the aisle closest to the entry door - at the end of the table with the little podium box on it. So, essentially right in front of Justin. It was a good view. :)

Now, the SN panel. The one I had been waiting for. Squee! I was actually surprised by the amount of people who got up and left after SV. So, being close to the front, I *rushed* up at the end of the SV panel, and managed to sneak up a few extra aisles. And I was still *right* on the edge. Not bad seats, not bad at all. I think I was 6, maybe 7 rows back? I was pretty happy. I wasn't going to go all the way to Comic Con, just to sit way in the back, far away from the pretty!

Once again, the SN panel has been posted in its entirety all over youtube. This is about my thoughts.

I have to say - I went in a thorough Dean / Jensen girl. And I came out a changed woman. I dunno if it was because he was sitting closer to me, or because I *swear* he looked right at me a few times (okay, I know, they can't see jack shit from up there with a darkened audience, but let me have my little dream, m'kay?), but I left the panel a total Jared girl. He was lookin' GOOD. I love the tall and lanky. And both boys did seem rather tired, so maybe it was because Jared was a little more subdued than usual, and kept the puppy at bay. Well, except for his embarrassment at his "oh, Japanese *horror*" comment. But that just endeared him to me even more.

Prior to the panel, I had of course been pondering questions that I would have loved to have asked the boys if given a chance. But being on the side away from the mic, I didn't think I would get the chance. And then it happened. My apparent mind twin stepped up to the mic, and asked the *exact* question I had been formulating - the one about guest stars. Even down to the mention of Bruce Campbell. Seriously, I don't know who that lady was - but I'm thinking we actually share a cerebrum.

Anyway, after the SN panel, I wandered over to the SoCal Browncoats meeting (yay for finally getting to see Gayle!). I thought it was going to be more of a meet and greet, but it was really very formalized. I didn't stay very long, as being rather geographically distant, the discussion wasn't really relevant to me. So I figured I would wander through the Con floor. Seeing as how Jensen was doing his signing and all - I thought I might be able to get a glimpse. ;)

I did pass him at the booth. The floor was complete and utter pandemonium. There was a huge crush of people everywhere. I did try to get a picture, but it didn't work out so well, since I wasn't exactly given the opportunity to stand still. And for those who are wondering, yes, Danneel was there. She was standing up top on the second floor, talking to another lady. And I'm not one of those blatant Danneel bashers - but in all honesty, she looked rather grumpy up there. Like she could have cared less to be there. I mean, come on, it's COMIC CON! There is so much going on! At least put on a happy face, and *try* and look somewhat enthused. But whatever.

I wandered back over to the Browncoats booth. I don't think anyone had taken any of our autograph cards. Not that I had expected them to. :) But whatever.

Starship Smackdown was where I headed next. I didn't go to this last time, and I wasn't about to miss out on pure geekiness this time! I found some other Canucks to talk to in line, which was pretty cool. The Smackdown started out with I think 16 ships - 10 chosen by the panellists, and 6 by the audience. I don't really remember who all started out. But they changed up the rules this time, and assigned Captains in the last round this time. The "Final Four" were the Protector, Captained by Han Solo, the Millennium Falcon, Captained by Captain Stubbing (LOL), The Captain and Tenille (again, LOL) aboard 3 Cylon Base Stars, and Captain Kirk aboard an Imperial Star Destroyer. Yeah, Kirk took it, no questions asked.

I wandered to the Buffy sing along at the end of the day. Loved getting my little "Grrr, argh" monster! I wasn't able to stay until the end though, as I had a plane to catch.

Went back to the hotel, picked up my stuff, and hoofed it to the airport. Only to find my flight had been bumped up by like an hour and a half! Major panic. I scrambled to get my luggage dropped off, and through security. Only to discover that though I had been bumped up to an earlier *scheduled* flight, it was in actuality leaving about the same time as the one I was supposed to be on. Apparently, there were quite a lot of delays. Which I discovered when I landed in San Francisco (where I was flying on from to Seattle). We got put in a holding pattern, and delayed landing even. And my flight to Seattle was a good THREE HOURS delayed from when I was supposed to arrive. I knew I was going to be pushing it, even arriving on schedule at midnight, and then driving home. But I didn't get into Seattle until like 3 A.M. It was 6:30 A.M. by the time I got my butt home and into bed (how I managed to stay awake during the drive, I am not entirely sure). So yeah, got maybe a couple of hours of sleep, then hoofed it into work, because I had to BE IN COURT that afternoon. Yeah, was I ever not thrilled.

I slept well that night, but I was totally ruined for that whole week. Sleep is awesome. I don't like missing out.

And to add - Chris Judge was totally on my flight from SAN to SFO. It was kinda cool and totally unexpected!

No comments: