Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Comic Con - Saturday

So if I thought the weekdays were busy - they ain't got nothin' on the weekends. It was a virtual sea of people. It was scary. If a fire alarm had sounded, no one would have burned to death in any fire - they would have been trampled / smushed to death instead. I know it sounds morbid to think about, but every now and then, when you are being pushed along by a sea of people, unable to turn and walk in the other direction - it gets a little frightening. And you start thinking about these things. Anyway, on to the good stuff.

Made the good call of getting up really, REALLY early to get to the Con. Got in line about 7:30 (and for those who know me, I'm usually still in bed at that time of the morning, never mind up, dressed, and in line anywhere). Plopped right down in line for Ballroom 20, and was actually in the first portion of the line. So no waiting outside. But the line did get very long, very fast. It was fun seeing people turn the corner and see our part of the line (probably a couple of hundred in front of me). And then they turned the *next* corner, and saw the *rest*. Their faces went from "oh dear, the line is this long already", to "oh my god, all hope is gone". It was awesome. Met some nice folks in line, and had a good chat. Comic Con is all about chatting up the people around you, because chances are, you're going to be hanging with them for quite some time. Beats boredom.

Anyway, the panels I wanted to see were later in the day, but dammit, I was getting a good seat, and not moving my ass out of it! The Futurama / Simpsons panel was first. Now, I don't watch either show, so I couldn't really care about anything. But at least the panellists were amusing, and I found myself entertained. The next panel though - was Dean Koontz. I understand that he is a best selling author (not that I read his books). But the man should NOT be given a room full of 4500 people for an hour. Let alone a room of 4500 people, the majority of whom were simply waiting for Joss. I literally fell asleep. I kept catching my head as it fell backwards. At least I managed not to drool. And Dean? Who do you think you're kidding with that hair? Seriously. Dude.

The Dollhouse panel followed. And once again with the awesomeness. Again, all of this is covered on YouTube, so you don't need my summary here. You can view all the wonderful goodness for yourself. And damn, Tahmoh is one purty, purty man. Having been in his presence before (yay for getting to be in a scene with him during my one all to brief day on BSG), I can safely say he's just as purty up close. But he still looked great on the panel. And damn, Eliza is a little on the flirty side! I don't know if the videos show just *quite* what she was doing to the mic. But I'm sure some of the fanboys in the audience had some *very* happy moments. :) Hee hee.

The BSG panel. This should have been the panel that made my entire trip worthwhile. BSG is the shits. Best show, IMO, to *ever* air on television. I think 2nd place would have to go to M*A*S*H. But please, PLEASE do not let Kevin Smith moderate when there is only a finite amount of time to be had. The man is funny. I get it. But he's TOO funny. If the actors are too busy laughing to answer a question - time is wasted. It ain't the Kevin Smith show. Move along.

The Chuck panel was the last panel of the day that I was interested in. I really love that show - it is totally cutesy, but in a good way. And I would totally scromp Zach in a heartbeat. The cast had some good laughs about how everyone was just there to see Adam (Browncoat powers - activate!), and they were just excess baggage. Sad, but also kinda true. Anything or anyone remotely connected to Firefly seems to have that power. New season looks to be total hotness though. Whee!

After the panels, I wandered around the Convention floor. I knew the SN boys were supposed to be doing a signing at 5:00, and I thought I would wander by (didn't find out until that evening that it had been cancelled). So obviously I didn't see the boys at the booth, but I did see Nathan Fillion! Though, not sure why he was at the WB booth, but whatever. He came down the stairs to sign something for a guy (the WB booth had two stories, the "important" people were all sequestered up top). I got his attention, and said something to the effect of "I just wanted to thank you in person for always giving props to Into the Black, so thank you". I got a nod and a smile, so I'm not too sure he really heard me. Understandable, 'cause the Con was wicked busy and noisy. But still, I *tried* to get my point across.

Anyway, I went to the Sci-Fi booth and bought my BSG poster. At least I was coming home with something. Got back to the hotel at 6:30 or so, and just stayed in and packed up, rather than heading back to the Masquerade. But it turned out to be futile, because when Eric got back, it turned out he had GOTTEN ME A TOASTER. Yep, he got to the Con early, and instead of going to a panel, he went in to the Exhibition Hall. He stopped off at the booth to see if there were any left. He got the third last one that day! So yay for Eric. Oh, and he also told me that the wicked ass Hellboy I'd seen wandering around the floor earlier was actually Adam from Mythbusters. Awesome. So yeah, then I repacked everything, 'cause that toaster ain't small.

And thus ended the Saturday.

1 comment:

CSTS Vancouver said...

I can't believe we were in the same rooms for the same panels most of the time and didn't see each other until Sunday. Well, actually, I guess I can since there were 4200 people in Ballroom 20, but you probably passed us in the lineup for the Dr. Horrible showing on Friday night!

Glad you got your toaster. One of my friends who was there got one on Friday.